JUST ONE DAY 2017 – What to expect and tips from the pros
Sunday, June 11 – 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
We’re so excited about this year’s #JustOneDay Adoption Event! Last year we adopted out 196 animals in eight hours – we’re hoping to exceed that number this year!
PLEASE NOTE: Our shelter will be closed on Saturday, June 10 in preparation for this event – we’ll be working to get all these adoptable pets vetted, microchipped and ready for their new homes the next day.
Here’s a breakdown of what to expect and some pro tips for Just One Day!
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- We will be closed Saturday, June 10 to prepare for this event.
- Adoption fees are $21 for all pets – that covers the $11 adoption fee and $10 mandatory microchipping fee. All GBHS adoptable pets are spayed/neutered, microchipped and up-to-date on vaccines.
- A wait time – with so many adopters waiting to adopt, please anticipate a wait time to meet with an adoption counselor and your new pet. There will be plenty of entertainment from Zach and Cheyloe, activities, games, food from Greg’s Hot Dogs and Steel City Pops and more to enjoy in the meantime!
- We’re also implementing a new text alert system – so come prepared with a charged cell phone so we can contact you when it’s your turn to meet with an adoption counselor!
- When you arrive, you’ll fill out or submit the adoption application and receive a number. Adopting families will be able to meet and greet animals at the event, and once a pet has been decided on, adopters will be subject to an approval process – adopters must be at least 19 years of age and present a valid ID at the time of adoption.
- All children under the age of 10 that will be living with the adopted pet are required to be present at the event to meet the new pet.
- Owners should bring vet records for current pets in the household, and can also bring those animals to meet the adoptable pet, but it is not required.
- If adopting a dog, adopters are required to have a leash and collar before leaving. Adopted cats must be transported in a carrier. Leashes and collars are available for purchase at the Society Store for a minimum of $5-$10, and cardboard cat carriers can be purchased for $5.
- Print and fill out the adoption application ahead of time! Find it here: http://gbhumanesoc.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Adoption_Application_062314.pdf
- Arrive early!
- Be prepared to purchase a leash/collar or cardboard cat carriers from the GBHS Society Store – all adopted dogs must leave have a leash and collar before leaving and all cats must be transported in a carrier. Leashes and collars are available for purchase at the Society Store for a minimum of $5-$10, and cardboard cat carriers can be purchased for $5.
- Dress for the heat! Entertainment and activities will be happening outside, so come cool and comfortable – don’t forget the sunscreen.
Check out our adoptable pets here: www.gbhs.org/adoptable-pets.